FREQUENCY AND POLARIZATION RECONFIGURABLE MICRO-STRIP ANTENNA
This paper presents a dual band frequency and polarization reconfigurable microstrip antenna. The simple design consists of two slots and two feeds. In one slot there is a switch. The two feeds are positioned on the right and left diagonal of microstrip antenna. When the switch is ON the electrical size of antenna becomes small and it resonates at higher UMTS 2100 MHz band with circular polarization. Similarly, when the switch is OFF then size of antenna is large and it operates at lower UMTS 1900 MHz band with elliptical polarization. The sense of polarization can be easily changed from right handed to left handed by changing the feed position. The radiation pattern is not disturbed by switch state and gain of proposed antenna is above 5 dBi. This antenna can be used in emerging reconfigurable wireless communication systems.
2. Balanis, C. A., (1992),”Antenna theory: A review”, Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol.80, no.1, pp. 7-23.
3. Li, R., DeJean, G., Laskar, J., & Tentzeris, M. M., (2005),” Investigation of circularly polarized loop antennas with a parasitic element for bandwidth enhancement”, IEEE transactions on antennas and propagation, Vol.53, no.12, pp. 3930-3939.
4. Latif, S. I., Shafai, L., & Sharma, S. K., (2005),”Bandwidth enhancement and size reduction of microstrip slot antennas”, IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol.53, no.3, pp.994-1003.
5. Hossa, R., Byndas, A., & Bialkowski, M. E.,(2004),” Improvement of compact terminal antenna performance by incorporating open-end slots in ground plane”, IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol.14, no.6,pp. 283-285.
6. Yang, S., Zhang, C., Pan, H. K., Fathy, A. E., & Nair, V. K., (2009),” Frequency-reconfigurable antennas for multiradio wireless platforms”, IEEE microwave magazine, Vol.10,no.1,pp. 66-83.
7. Zhu, H. L., Cheung, S. W., Liu, X. H., & Yuk, T. I., (2014),” Design of polarization reconfigurable antenna using metasurface”, IEEE transactions on antennas and propagation, vol.62,no.6,pp. 2891-2898.
8. Kang, W. S., Park, J. A., & Yoon, Y. J., (2008), “Simple reconfigurable antenna with radiation pattern”, Electronics Letters, Vol.44,no.3,pp. 182-183.
9. Virga, K. L., & Rahmat-Samii, Y., (1997),” Low-profile enhanced-bandwidth PIFA antennas for wireless communications packaging”, IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol.45,no.10,pp. 1879-1888.
10. Yang, F., & Rahmat-Samii, Y., (2002),”Patch antenna with switchable slots (PASS): Reconfigurable design for wireless communications”, In Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, IEEE, Vol. 1, pp. 462-465.
11. Behdad, N., & Sarabandi, K., (2006),” Dual-band reconfigurable antenna with a very wide tunability range”, IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol.54, no.2, pp. 409-416.
12. Sekra, P., Bhatnagar, D., Saxena, V. K., & Saini, J. S., (2009),” Single feed circularly polarized edge truncated elliptical microstrip antenna”, In Emerging Trends in Electronic and Photonic Devices & Systems, 2009. ELECTRO'09. International Conference on, pp. 353-356.
13. Sahal, M., & Tiwari, V. N., (2016),” Review of Circular Polarization Techniques for Design of Microstrip Patch Antenna”, In Proceedings of the International Conference on Recent Cognizance in Wireless Communication & Image Processing (pp. 663-669). Springer India.
14. Osman, M. N., Rahim, M. K. A., Yusoff, M. F. M., Hamid, M. R., & Jusoh, M. (2015),” Dual-port polarization reconfigurable antenna using compact CPW slotline feeding structure for space-limited MIMO application”, In Antenna Measurements & Applications (CAMA), 2015 IEEE Conference on (pp. 1-4).
15. Kyriazidou, Chryssoula A. "Reconfigurable polarization antenna." U.S. Patent No. 9,270,026. 23 Feb. 2016.