LAYOUT DESIGN AND PERFORMANCE ANALYSIS OF MOLD MAKING FACILITY OF A SMALL AND MEDIUM SCALE GLASS INDUSTRY
It is important for the manufacturing and service industry to reduce their costs and expenses to maintain a sustainable position in the global marketplace. Selecting the right manufacturing strategy and planning is a critical decision for production managers in the industry. The layout problems generally exist in the manufacturing industries. In the industries the layout problems deals with the facilities like departments, machines etc. As a case study, this paper presents a machine shop producing molds for local based bottles production industry. The mold making machine shop capacity is enhanced to fulfill the annual requirement by minimizing travel distance, removal of bottlenecks during production, material handling and losses. Firstly, several layouts were generated using Systematic Layout Planning (SLP) and efficiency rate is calculated. The cost analysis of the modified layout was calculated by giving a payback period also. The results show that the proposed layout performs efficiently for the annual demand.
2. Aiello, G., M. Enea, and G. Galante, An integrated approach to the facilities and material handling system design. International Journal of Production Research, 2002. 40(15): p. 4007-4017.
3. Benjaafar, S., S.S. Heragu, and S.A. Irani, Next generation factory layouts: research challenges and recent progress. Interfaces, 2002. 32(6): p. 58-76.
4. Jia, Z., et al., Design and implimentation of lean facility layout system of a production line. International Journal of Industrial Engineering, 2013. 20.
5. Djassemi, M., Improving factory layout under a mixed floor and overhead material handling condition. Journal of manufacturing technology Management, 2007. 18(3): p. 281-291.
6. Kulturel-Konak, S., Approaches to uncertainties in facility layout problems: Perspectives at the beginning of the 21st Century. Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing, 2007. 18(2): p. 273-284.
7. Amaral, A.R., On the exact solution of a facility layout problem. European Journal of Operational Research, 2006. 173(2): p. 508-518.
8. Muthiah, K.M. and S.H. Huang, A review of literature on manufacturing systems productivity measurement and improvement. International Journal of Industrial and Systems Engineering, 2006. 1(4): p. 461-484.
9. Gu, J., M. Goetschalckx, and L.F. McGinnis, Research on warehouse design and performance evaluation: A comprehensive review. European Journal of Operational Research, 2010. 203(3): p. 539-549.
10. Hong, D., Y. Seo, and Y. Xiao, A CONCURRENT APPROACH FOR FACILITY LAYOUT AND AMHS DESIGN IN SEMICONDUCTOR MANUFACTURING. International Journal of Industrial Engineering, 2014. 21(4).
11. Ucar, C. and T. Bayrak, Improving In-plant Logistics: A Case Study of a Washing Machine Manufacturing Facility. International Journal of Industrial Engineering, 2015. 22(2).
12. Yang, T. and C. Kuo, A hierarchical AHP/DEA methodology for the facilities layout design problem. European Journal of Operational Research, 2003. 147(1): p. 128-136.
13. Yang, T., B.A. Peters, and M. Tu, Layout design for flexible manufacturing systems considering single-loop directional flow patterns. European Journal of Operational Research, 2005. 164(2): p. 440-455.
14. Chen, D.-S., Q. Wang, and H.-C. Chen, Linear sequencing for machine layouts by a modified simulated annealing. International Journal of Production Research, 2001. 39(8): p. 1721-1732.
15. Chen*, C.-W. and D. Sha, Heuristic approach for solving the multi-objective facility layout problem. International Journal of Production Research, 2005. 43(21): p. 4493-4507.
16. Kim, J.-G. and Y.-D. Kim, Layout planning for facilities with fixed shapes and input and output points. International Journal of Production Research, 2000. 38(18): p. 4635-4653.
17. Moslemipour, G., T.S. Lee, and D. Rilling, A review of intelligent approaches for designing dynamic and robust layouts in flexible manufacturing systems. The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 2012. 60(1-4): p. 11-27.
18. Azadeh, A. and B. Moradi, Simulation optimization of facility layout design problem with safety and ergonomics factors. International Journal of Industrial Engineering, 2014. 21(4).
19. Lee, H. and J. Lee, The optimal cost estimating for improvement of product design. International Journal of Industrial Engineering: Theory, Applications and Practice, 2011. 18(5).
20. Mohsen and M. Hassan, Toward guiding the selection of a layout procedure. Journal of Manufacturing Technology Management, 2007. 18(3): p. 292-303.
21. Xing, W., et al., Layout effects and optimization of runoff storage and filtration facilities based on SWMM simulation in a demonstration area. Water Science and Engineering, 2016. 9(2): p. 115-124.
22. Chien, T.-K., An empirical study of facility layout using a modified SLP procedure. Journal of Manufacturing Technology Management, 2004. 15(6): p. 455-465.
23. Wiyaratn, W., A. Watanapa, and P. Kajondecha, Improvement plant layout based on systematic layout planning. International Journal of Engineering and technology, 2013. 5(1): p. 76.