Comparative Analysis of Tensile Strength of Multifilament Silk and Vicryl Sutures used in Surgery
Sutures made with different materials are used in surgery for multiple reasons. These materials may be monofilament or multi filaments based on either natural or synthetic content. Mechanical and physical properties of sutures are crucial requirements to make an informed decision for their appropriate use in surgery. This study was aimed at determining and comparing the tensile strength of sutures made with silk and vicryl materials in straight and knot pull. An experimental study was conducted. Samples of sutures made with silk and vicryl used for surgery were collected from various pharmaceutical companies of Lahore. These were evaluated for their tensile strength by using DX Instron tester with two configurations. The results depicted that multifilament suture made with silk fiber had better tensile strength as compared to the vicryl in both straight and knot pull type.
2. Mirkovic S, Selakovic S, Sarcev I, Bajkin B., (2010), “Influence of surgical sutures on wound healing”, Medicinski pregled, 63, No. 1, pp. 7-14
3. Silverstein LH, Kurtzman GM, Shatz PC., (2009), “Suturing for optimal soft-tissue management”, Journal of Oral Implantology, 35, No. 2, pp.82-90
4. Kudur MH, Pai SB, Sripathi H, Prabhu S., (2009), “Sutures and suturing techniques in skin closure”, Indian Journal of Dermatology, Venereology, and Leprology. 75, No. 4, pp. 425
5. Javed F, Al-Askar M, Almas K, Romanos GE, Al-Hezaimi K., (2012), “Tissue reactions to various suture materials used in oral surgical interventions”, ISRN dentistry.
6. Kim JC, Lee YK, Lim BS, Rhee SH, Yang HC., (2007), “Comparison of tensile and knot security properties of surgical sutures”, Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine, 18, No. 12, pp. 2363-2369.
7. Parell GJ, Becker GD., (2003), “Comparison of absorbable with nonabsorbable sutures in closure of facial skin wounds”, Archives of facial plastic surgery, 5, No. 6 pp. 488-490
8. Neto. I.A, Dantas. M.H, Sampaio, T.B, Meneses. A.C., Filho, I.A., (2018), “Surgical Sutures: The necessary update of current knowledge”, Journal of gastroenterology, pancreatology & liver disorders.
9. Vasanthan A, Satheesh K, Hoopes W, Lucaci P, Williams K, Rapley J. (2009), “Comparing suture strengths for clinical applications: a novel in vitro study”, Journal of periodontology, 80, No. 4, pp. 618-624.
10. Naleway SE, Lear W, Kruzic JJ, Maughan CB., (2015), “Applied Biomaterials”, Journal of Biomedical Materials Research,103, No. 4, pp.735-742.
11. Koshak. H.H, (2017), “Dental Suturing Materials and Techniques”, Global Journal of Otolaryngology, 12, No. 2, pp. 1-11
12. Ananthakrishnan N, Sambasiva Rao R, Shivam S., (1992), “Bacterial adherence to cotton and silk sutures”, National Medical Journal of India, 5, 217-225.
13. Yilmaz N, İnal S, Muglali M, Guvenc T, Bas B., (2010), “Effects of polyglecaprone 25, silk and catgut suture materials on oral mucosa wound healing in diabetic rats: an evaluation of nitric oxide dynamics”, Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal, 15, No. 3, pp. 526-530
14. Hochberg J, Meyer KM, Marion MD., (2009), “Suture choice and other methods of skin closure”, Surgical Clinics, 89, No. 3, pp. 627-641.
15. Brown RP. (1992), “Knotting technique and suture materials”, British journal of surger, 79, No. 5, pp.399-400
16. Outlaw KK, Vela AR, O'Leary JP., (1998), “Breaking strength and diameter of absorbable sutures afer in vivo exposure in the rat”, The American Surgeon. 64 No. 4, pp. 348
17. Huang TW, Cheng PW, Chan YH, Wang CT, Fang KM, Young TH., (2010), “Clinical and biomechanical analyses to select a suture material for uvulopalatopharyngeal surgery”, Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, 143, No. 5, pp. 655-661.
18. Ferguson Jr RE, Schuler K, Thornton BP, Vasconez HC, Rinker B., (2007), “The effect of saliva and oral intake on the tensile properties of sutures: an experimental study”, Annals of plastic surgery, 58, No. 3, 268-272.
19. Selvi F, Cakarer S, Can T, Topcu Sİ, Palancioglu A, Keskin B, Bilgic B, Yaltirik M, Keskin C., (2016), “Effects of different suture materials on tissue healing”, Journal of Istanbul University Faculty of Dentistry, 50 No. 1, pp.35-37